Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Twitting

Started this morning but work took precedence. Planned on finishing it at a new coffeeshop and here I am at White Rock Cafe in Dallas...in the midst of some live music played by some young folks, I am at complete peace with myself.

In this ever evolving world we keep finding new tools to stay socially connected with the rest. . Facebook was one such few months back and I started liking it for reasons well known to all of us. Now everything that happens be it a big event, or a social party or any non-profit fundraiser, you will find a FB page on that. While I was hooked on to FB, I have been hearing about TWITTER for few months, specially in the news media. I told myself, I really do not have time for any other networking site and I am already devoting more time to FB than I should. I repeated the same mistake I have done before quite few times, of rejecting something before even looking at it...

I was flipping some channels one night, stopped at Jay Leno interviewing Ellen Degeneres, she started talking about the twitter thing...what stuck in my mind was when she said, quote 'twitting is not about making friends but following people'. I told myself I do have many people I admire and would like to follow them...and in the next 5 minutes, guess what, I already had my twitter account. Currently not following too many people but my short list currently includes Al Gore(he posts interesting updates on his campaign to save environment), Larry Page(the google founder), Roger Federer, Obama(ofcourse, :-P), Deepak Chopra, Rachel Maddow, Paul Krugman and many others. I get updates from people I am following, directly to my page without any filtering and thats what impresses me the most. I can also reply and voice my concern to them if I have anything in my mind. So overall it seems like an effective way to connect with people you have admired for a long time and now you are communicating with them directly. To the founders I just have to thank them for being very creative.

2 comments:

Ujjwal said...

This sounds real interesting, RP. In fact i also opened a twitter account sometime back but never tried following people i would really want to know more about and probably thats the reason why i never use it.
Am i saying that i opened my account without even understanding why i wanted to open it??? Is this on account of too much choice at hands and our anxiety not to lose out on anything new :)

Let me try it now with more seriousness.

Cheers!

Ankur Chandra said...

after reading this post, i have for the first time posted something on twitter. :-)